Ever since Google announced that websites that does not have SSL certificate (non-HTTPS sites) might have their search ranking dropped, the website will be marked as non-secure, many businesses who own a website start to get awareness on importance of having one.
But, how much does it cost to get a SSL certificate from a provider? The following table show the prices from different providers (as of 26/07/2020):
|Godaddy||~ RM 233.99 / year|
|Namecheap||~ RM 25 / year|
|SSLs.com||~ RM 16 / year|
|Exabytes||~ RM 149.52 / year|
Note: The price is based on the lowest available offered by the providers.
Generate your own SSL cert
Do you know you can actually generate your own SSL certificate? Despite the pricey SSL cert from the market offered by different providers, you are actually allowed to generate your own SSL certificate and install on your own hosting server.
Let’s Encrypt is the answer.
Quantum Solutions website is also encrypted by using Let’s Encrypt.
How to generate?
Let’s say you have purchased a domain example.com from Godaddy. And you’re hosting your website on an Ubuntu server, with Apache engine.
You’ll need to do the following:
- Access SSH to your server.
- Install the Certbot into your server.
- Run the Certbot to SSL certificate generation for example.com with DNS acme challenges.
- Add a new TXT record on your Godaddy DNS configuration for _acme-challenges.example.com with the key generated from step 3.
- Test the _acme-challenges.example.com on https://www.whatsmydns.net/ to confirm if TXT is propagated.
- Finish the generation by hitting enter.
The official documentation is available at Certbot website.
Quantum Solutions offers the service to help with SSL installation on your website. Drop us a message so we can give you a hand!